Duties of a responsible citizen.
Every citizen living in Nigeria has rights which are entrenched in the constitution and protected by the government.
These rights as stated above imposes certain duties and responsibilities on all citizens…
The performance of these duties and responsibilities depicts the level of obedience and loyalty of all citizens to the country and ensure the realization of common good for all duties.
The following are duties of a responsible citizen in Nigeria.
- Obey the law: This is the principal duty of a responsible citizen.
laws are made to protect the interest of all citizens to the extent that if every citizen obeys the law, everybody will live in peace, there will be order and government will have favourable environment to discharge its own responsibilities.
- protection of public property; citizens are expected to protect government properties from vandalization. they are expected to fight against corruption, squandering of public fund and misappropriation.
- Loyalty; Every citizen owes loyalty not just to the government but to the community in which he or she resides. he or she must demonstrate. allegiance to the nation by supporting the government in its program to ensure sustainable national development.
- Respect for national symbols; it is the duty of every responsible citizen to honour the national flag, citizen must stand up when ever the national anthem is being played or sung, they are also expected to recite the national pledge.
- payment of Taxes; Every citizen is expected to pay his or her tax promptly as at when due. it is from the tax paid by citizens that government provide essential amenities such as good roads, water,electricity, schools, hospital, and maintenance of law and order inclusive.
- Rendering national service; during any form of emergency, such ad during war with enemy country, citizens are expected to come out and defend the integrity of the nation.
This is done by enlisting in the armed forces to fight against the enemy and defend the country. The National youth service ( NYSC) is one of such call to serve our father land.
- Respect for others right; is the duty of every citizen to respect others’ right and not to interfere with the others’ right, right to safety, security, right to enjoy their personal liberty and private properties.
- Reporting crimes and criminals ; citizen have the responsibility to report crime and criminal activities to the law enforcement agents ( police) This is to reduce criminal activities and threats to lives and properties…
- civil responsibilities ; every citizen is expected to exercise this political right by carrying out his or her political obligations. This is to come out and vote for a candidate of his or her choice during election and to stand in to be voted for during any election.
The benefits of being a Nigeria citizen if you obey the law of the land and fulfill your duties and obligation are;
- living in peaceful co- existence with one another
*freedom of speech and association
- lives and properties are secured.
- government providing basic amenities for citizens when tax is paid.